Because of the COVID-19 restrictions, AYM will not be hosting as many out-of-town groups this summer as normal. Realizing some of our partner agencies need support more now than ever, AYM is offering to provide opportunities for local youth to get out of the house and into the community to serve in low-risk ways!
For the first four weeks of June, service-learning opportunities are available Monday, Tuesday & Wednesdays from 9AM-12:30PM. Participants can simply register for one, two or more mornings and we will send you more details about the mission site (including directions) as the time approaches. If Buncombe Co. health conditions change we may have to change our plans, but we remain hopeful!
Here are the details:
- Participants who are healthy are to meet directly at the mission site where AYM and agency staff will supervise using best practice/CDC guidelines such as group size/social distancing.
- Bring a mask, work gloves, water bottle and snack or bag lunch. AYM staff will lead a closing devotion/ reflection around noon; pick-up will be at the mission sight at 12:30PM.
- Youth aged 11 and up are eligible.
- Cost is $25 which will support AYM’s continued mission as well as a donation to participating agencies (Root Cause Farm, 12 Baskets Cafe, Manna FoodBank, Dr. John Wilson Community Garden, Haw Creek Commons, Black Mt Home for Children and perhaps other agencies).
- We do not want cost to be prohibitive so scholarships are available. We also will accept donations over and above $25 if you are able to do that. Supporting our work in the community is much appreciated during these unprecedented times.
- Register/payment on the YMCo website: youthmissionco.org/registration Under locations, select Asheville – then AYM Mission Mornings! under Asheville programs. If you have used our website before, you may need to clear your browser history & cookies.
- Questions about the program? Contact Michael Poulos ([email protected] 828-713-3509)
- Questions about registration? Contact Cristi Wunsch ([email protected], 828-231-4635 x 701)
Stay tuned: we hope to offer July opportunities, too!